There are approximately 37,000 Oregon children living with a relative or family friend, and an estimated 68% of those placements are voluntary or informal (e.g. outside of the Child Welfare System). Studies show these families have significantly fewer supports compared to foster caregivers. To bridge this gap in service access, the KEEP program, collaborating with ODHS Self Sufficiency Programs and the Oregon Kinship Navigator, is expanding to include all Oregon kinship families who are caring for a relative or friend’s child/ren, age 2 or older.
What is the KEEP Connecting Kin Study?
The goals of the KEEP Connecting Kin study are to learn more about the supports and resources that Oregon’s kinship families need and to evaluate whether participation in KEEP groups improves child and family well-being for kinship families outside of Child Welfare.
Interested in joining the study to help improve supports for kinship families?
- Earn up to $180 for completing three surveys by phone or online
- Oregon families who are caring for a relative or friend’s child/ren, age 2 or older, and are considered “informal kinship parents” (e.g. outside of Child Welfare)
- Families who have not previously completed a KEEP group
- Participate in a KEEP group tailored to kinship families
What is a KEEP Connecting Kin group?
- 7-12 kinship parents and two group leaders
- 16 weekly, 90-minute online sessions
- Share and discuss helpful parenting strategies
- KEEP is a support group, not a class!
- KEEP is trauma-informed
- Receive $25/session attended (up to $400)
What Kinship Caregivers have to say about KEEP:
“Our good behaviors have improved greatly and my personal stress level has gone down.”
“I loved the connection with the other parents in the group and feeling like my kids are not the only ones with certain behaviors!”
“I will most definitely recommend KEEP to any kinship parents I know. This was time well spent.”
How to Get Connected:
- Parents can join the KEEP Connecting Kin study now! After signing up, they will take their first survey and earn $40. To learn more and get signed up:
- Call or text Julie Chapman at 541-780-3803
- Email email@example.com
- Complete and submit the KEEP Connecting Kin Interest Form below
Not eligible for KEEP Connecting Kin? If you are an Oregon resource, kinship, or adoptive parent, you are still eligible for KEEP! Contact us to find the KEEP group that best suits your family’s needs. Call or text Julie Chapman at 541-780-3803.